John is the current president of Mental Health Counselor’s Association of Palm Beach. He’s an expert addictions professional with a deep background, borne of personal pain and years of extensive professional clinical training. He is a veteran of the recovery field with first hand experience defeating addictions in a variety of substances over a lifetime. His main goal is helping clients live with a crystalline awareness of the power of the present moment, free of judgment and achieving personal best in all areas of their lives. Mindfulness and the ancient precepts of Buddhism figure prominently in his approaches.
Clients come for help with:
active alcoholism, substance abuse and addiction. His work also addresses related problems of divorce and affairs, family dysfunction, panic & anxiety, trauma and PTSD, depression and grief, mood disturbances, chronic impulsivity, spiritual issues, ADD/ADHD, narcissistic personalities, parenting consultation and complex adoption issues.
John is a graduate of The University of Georgia at Athens, obtaining his Master’s Degree from The University of West Georgia at Carrolton. In addition to internships in substance abuse and addiction with Hanna McGoey, LMHC in Boca Raton, he completed a three year residency at The Samaritan Center of South Florida in Fort Lauderdale, a non-profit, faith-based, non-denominational counseling center. John’s career as a psychotherapist spans an eclectic blend of personal development methodologies, including including Gestalt, Psychodrama, Cognitive Behavioral and Acceptance Commitment as well as a variety of hypnosis methodologies, including Rapid Trauma Resolution and Eriksonian Hypnotherapy. John is a certified EMDR practitioner working with a broad spectrum of clients, guided by the groundbreaking EMDR work of Dr Francine Shapiro and Dr Bessel Van der Kolk, MD. A lifelong student of meditation, John incorporates mindfulness-based practices into all his work. He is currently President of the Mental Health Counselor’s Association of Palm Beach, a Delray Beach based non-profit dedicated to serving the interests of mental health professionals in Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties.
- The University of Georgia at Athens
- The State University of West Georgia at Carrollton
- Florida Atlantic University at Boca Raton
- St Thomas University at Miami
- Marriage and Family Counseling Resident, Samaritan Center, Ft Lauderdale FL
- Covey Leadership Consulting internship
- Certified Rapid Trauma Resolution Therapy
- Clinical Hypnotherapy Recurring
- Florida Licensed Mental Health Counselor MH 9306
How do I get started?
Calling, emailing or texting for an appointment starts the process. You’ll be asked to fill out a few pages of required documentation to bring to your first appointment.
I strive to make it easy for our clients to come to counseling and get started. There are a few easy steps to make an appointment. I use email and texting as much as possible and recommend it for as most administrative exchange. Your confidential information will not be shared through any medium without your permission.
Here are the steps:
- Texting me 561-213-8030 is best. Or…
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org requesting an appointment. I’ll respond with a few options for appointments from which you can choose. I’ll then send you clear directions to the office along with the few pages of documents you’ll need to review before coming in. You can also review a copy of those documents by clicking here.
- You’ll be waiting downstairs in a generous open area with magazines and and a coffee table. Please don’t talk on your cell phone while waiting. Text message 561-213-8030 to announce your arrival and I’ll either come get you or text you to come upstairs to the office.
- The first meeting is for gathering information and allow us to ask questions of each other. Making sure it’s a “fit” for you is critical Together we’ll set a clear objective for therapy and agree on a general outlook and timetable for getting done what you need. It is often my experience that just a few sessions can bring substantial relief.
Fees and Payment
Our standard session lasts about 50 minutes and is $150. Retainer programs are available. Cash, local checks are preferred form of payment. Credit cards are accepted when necessary.
We choose not to accept insurance in order to guard our client’s confidentiality and maintain full control of the course of the work. If appropriate, you are welcome to seek out-of-network reimbursement from your insurance provider by requesting coded receipts.
Each and every appointment is very important to us, as such, we reserve individual sessions with great care and consideration. If for any reason you do not show up for your scheduled appointment, and you have not notified us no less than 36 hours in advance, you will be required to pay the full cost of the session as booked. Please understand that late cancellation fees apply to all but dire emergencies.
Request an Appointment form
Fill out form below. John will contact you within 12-24 hours to confirm your appointment. Please review this document before your appointment.